The University of California, Berkeley’s reputation for excellence in teaching and research is built, in part, on its long tradition of robust international engagement. The University’s engagement with the world offers the best chance for solving societal challenges that benefit the citizens of California, the nation, and the world. In that spirit, at UC Berkeley:
● We welcome students, faculty, visitors and scholars from around the world, and strive to create a campus community that encourages cross-cultural understanding in a welcoming environment;
● We value and protect an educational setting that encourages freedom of expression and is conducive to scholarship and learning;
● We encourage UC Berkeley faculty and students to go out into the world to engage in the pursuit of knowledge wherever it leads them;
● We embrace new international partnerships and research collaborations that advance knowledge;
● We demonstrate leadership in the ever-changing environment of international engagement through our unwavering commitment to academic freedom, excellence, diversity, and inclusion;
● We pledge to conduct our international affairs seeking the well-being and security of all, as responsible stewards of the investments and trust that our research sponsors, donors and citizens have placed in us, in compliance with the law, with appropriate controls, accountability and transparency.
The University of California, Berkeley's “Principles of International Engagement” statement was developed in 2019 by the International Engagement Policy Task Force, and issued by the Chancellor in 2020. Its intent is to convey the importance of international engagement to UC Berkeley's academic mission and standing, and condemn actions that discriminate against and alienate the international community. This statement received input from the Chancellor's Cabinet, the Associated Students of the University of California (ASUC), the Graduate Assembly, the Faculty Academic Senate, Council of Deans, and the International Activities Coordination Group (IACG).