The Global Engagement Office supports international travel by partnering with campus units to provide information about campus' international travel resources, advising on risk management, and reviewing exceptional international travel requests.
Updated April 20, 2022
UC Berkeley International Travel Directives
Trip registration is required for all foreign travel
Trip registration is required for all university-related foreign travel, regardless of State Department Travel Advisory Level or travel purpose. Travel booked via Connexxus is automatically registered, or register manually via UCAway.
Campus pre-approval is required for the following types of foreign travel:
UC Berkeley has decided to end the pre-travel approval requirement for all travel to CDC Level 3-4 countries to be approved before travel. For travel occurring after May 3, 2022, only the following university-related travel will continue to require pre-approval from central campus:
- Study abroad and group student travel for credit: Until further notice, all study abroad and international group student travel for UCB coursework or credit involving faculty, students, or staff must be pre-approved by the relevant Dean and the Berkeley Study Abroad office, regardless of CDC or DOS advisory level, due to greater financial and business risk due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Requests can be submitted via the study abroad travel review process. Contact email@example.com with questions.
- Travel to State Department Level 4 locations: All UC Berkeley community members (faculty, students, staff) engaging in university-related international travel to countries rated State Department Level 4 (Do not travel) for any reasons other than solely COVID-19 must seek approval through the two-step International Travel Protocol, which includes approval first at the decanal level and then from the vice provost for academic planning. Refer to the international travel protocol and approval process. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- Effective May 3, 2022, UC Berkeley has ended the requirement for pre-approval to CDC Level 3 & 4 locations that has been in effect since 2020. Refer to coronavirus.berkeley.edu/travel for current campus guidelines.
- Effective August 4, 2021, all individuals requesting exceptional approval to travel for university-related purposes must attest that they are in compliance with the UCOP SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program as part of the approval process. The systemwide policy requires all students, staff, and faculty be vaccinated for COVID-19, with few exceptions. Please refer to University Health Services for more information.
- On December 21, 2021, the UC system announced that the current UC COVID-19 vaccination policy requires faculty, staff and students to obtain a booster shot as soon as they are eligible.