Campus Resources for International Travel
Travel during COVID-19
Most up to date campus-wide information and policies pertaining to the campus’ travel protocol for domestic, international, study abroad and group travel, as well as travel insurance, travel reimbursement, and international agreements in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Please note: Travelers should follow applicable health orders at their destination, including quarantine requirements, etc.
UC Berkeley Travel Protocol for State Dept. Level 4 and CDC Level 3 & 4 Locations
Travel for all UC Berkeley faculty, staff or students on University business to countries designated by the U.S. Department of State as having a Level 4 travel advisory (i.e., Do Not Travel) or CDC Level 3 or 4 requires a two-step approval process first from their Dean and then from the Vice Provost for Academic Planning.
All Berkeley faculty and staff traveling on official university business should register their travel to receive free 24 hour services and benefits. These services include emergency evacuation, accident and illness care during international travel, passport replacement services, travel alerts and more. For full list of benefits, visit Register Travel website link above.
International Risk Services & Insurance
Provides country-specific travel updates and briefings associated with health and safety as well as information for faculty members, students, and staff conducting research internationally, faculty leading study abroad programs, and international insurance coverage.
Cybersecurity and Data Protection for International Travel
For members of the campus community, a trip to a foreign country presents unique data security challenges. The following resources will help faculty and staff better prepare:
- Berkeley's Information Security Office provides advice on protecting your intellectual property, data, and devices, whether it’s for work or personal, and includes a list of data security safeguards you should add to your travel checklist before, during and after your trip. If you plan to access CalNet while traveling, follow the University's recommendations for "Traveling with 2-Step".
- Consult with Export Control well in advance of your trip if you are planning to take University equipment, data or technology outside of the United States. There are special rules for bringing electronic equipment, research, intellectual property, and encryption technology abroad.
Although encryption is recommended to protect sensitive information in case your device is lost, stolen, inspected or confiscated, some countries restrict the use/importation of encryption software. The USA may also restrict its export. See UCOP's "International Travel" web page for information, including lists of countries with travel restrictions, and links for additional help.
- UCOP's Cyber-Smart Traveling provides many additional systemwide cybersecurity resources for domestic and international travelers.
Travel Expenses & Reimbursement
Provides information on booking international travel, reporting international travel expenses, how to get reimbursed, and UC travel regulations.
- UC Berkeley Travel Policy in a Nutshell
- Executive Order Updates: International Travel
- Travel Insurance Enrollment Program
- Travel Alerts & Warnings
- UC Berkeley Risk Services
- UC Berkeley Travel
- Security Tips for International Travel
- UC Berkeley Export Control
- UCOP Risk Services
- UCOP Cyber-Smart Traveling
- UCOP International Activities Policy