Resources for International Travel

Register Your Travel

All Berkeley faculty and staff traveling on official university business should REGISTER their travel to receive free 24 hour services and insurance benefits. These services include emergency evacuation, accident and illness care during international travel, passport replacement services, travel alerts and more.

International Risk Services

The Office of Risk Services provides country-specific travel updates and briefings associated with health and safety as well as information for faculty members, students, and staff conducting research internationally, faculty leading study abroad programs, and international insurance coverage. Or visit Risk Services website for further information.

Cybersecurity and Data Protection for International Travel

For members of the campus community, a trip to a foreign country presents unique data security challenges.  The following resources will help faculty, staff and students better prepare:

  • Berkeley's Information Security Office provides advice on protecting your intellectual property, data, and devices, whether it’s for work or personal, and includes a list of data security safeguards you should add to your travel checklist before, during and after your trip. If you plan to access CalNet while traveling, follow the University's recommendations for "Traveling with 2-Step"
  • Consult with Export Control well in advance of your trip if you are planning to take University equipment, data or technology outside of the United States. There are special rules for bringing electronic equipment, research, intellectual property, and encryption technology abroad. Certain types of international travel, research, and other activities may involve export control regulations depending on the travel destination and the items, software, and/or technical data that are taken. When you travel abroad, everything you take is an export, including high-tech equipment, confidential, unpublished, or proprietary information or data. Traveling with certain types of high-tech equipment including but not limited to advanced GPS units, scientific equipment, or with controlled, proprietary or unpublished data in any format may require an export license depending on your travel destination.
  • Although encryption is recommended to protect sensitive information in case your device is lost, stolen, inspected or confiscated, some countries restrict the use/importation of encryption software. The USA may also restrict its export. See UCOP's "International Travel" web page for information, including lists of countries with travel restrictions, and links for additional help.

  • UCOP's Cyber-Smart Traveling provides many additional systemwide cybersecurity resources for domestic and international travelers.

Travel Expenses & Reimbursement

Berkeley Travel provides travel information on booking international travel, reporting international travel expenses, how to get reimbursed, and UC travel regulations. Visit Berkeley Travel for more information.